Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Week 6 Blog Post


Week Six

**WebQuest**
My WebQuest:
Introduction:
This week is the week that I both looked forward to and feared! I was excited to create a WebQuest because I have used them before as a student, and have been very engaged as a learner and I wanted this experience for my future students. I feared it, because for one, I was told that it would be time consuming and I wasn’t sure just how long it would take. Secondly, I feared it because I wasn’t sure if I would be creative enough!
WebQuest Details:
                I began by visiting the suggested websites on blackboard about WebQuest! I found them all very helpful as they explained exactly what WebQuest were and how they could be utilized in classroom settings. In addition, they also explained what needed to be included in the WebQuest and how to make it appealing and appropriate for the classroom.  I then continued on to visit the QuestGarden website and applied for the free 30 day account!
                I will admit I was anxious to create a WebQuest because I had no clue as to where to start! So, I did what I do best! I looked at other WebQuest created by other individuals, and used them for inspiration! After reviewing them, I found one that talked about animal reports! Instantly, I remembered creating an entire unit plan on animal reports in another graduate course to utilize in my future classroom. I thought, what would be better than adding a WebQuest to enhance the lesson that I already have to establish a phenomenal unit plan! I LOVE when the graduate courses require students to create products that they will actually use in their classes!
                It turns out, my creative wheels can still turn, (after all of the rust disintegrated) and I set to work! I created a WebQuest that required the students to research specific information about animals of their choice using a form to guide their research! This was perfect, as in the lesson plan I had written down that the students would research their animals. That was it! After creating this WebQuest, the first thought that comes to mind is… what was I thinking giving the students free reign to research their animals with no guidance?! Now I have a structured, WebQuest intact that will guide the students through the research process!
Challenges Faced:
                The largest challenge I faced when creating the WebQuest was time! It took me around three and a half to four hours to complete it and get the majority of the kinks out of it! There were several other minor problems I had when creating the WebQuest. For one, I didn’t want to use the rubric that they had created; I wanted to add the one that I created from RubiStar but the rubric was too large to fit the page. Luckily the help feature on the website was just that… VERY helpful as it allowed me to resolve the minor issue! It actually provided me videos and step-by-step instructions that allowed me to fix several difficulties that I came across! There is one problem that I couldn’t get resolved no matter what I did! The format of my resource page is a little off due to the length of my hyperlinks. I tried to follow the step-by-step directions but it simply would NOT cooperate!  I guess you can’t have a perfect technology day and if this minor mishap is the only thing “wrong” with my WebQuest, then I will be just fine!
Other WebQuest Viewed:
I viewed several WebQuest from questgarden, to gain a better understanding of how WebQuest work from the inside out and to gather examples to utilize in creating my own WebQuest! One WebQuest in particular stuck out to me! It was a WebQuest titled, “Houston, We Have A Problem”, created by Theresa Valencia, aimed for grades 3-5! I LOVED this WebQuest because of the amount of creativity involved and the subject matter combined! I can certainly see 3rd grade- 5th grade students becoming excited about this content when presented in this manner! I think this WebQuest would engage the students and help them understand the content more efficiently!
As I am not teaching yet, I didn’t have a set of guidelines to help me choose a sample WebQuest. Therefore, I simply chose a WebQuest in my ideal grade level and subject matters! This one appealed to both the grade and the subject matters (Science and Language Arts), that I am interested in teaching!
First and foremost, the layout and graphics are truly amazing and make the WebQuest that much more realistic and worthwhile! I love the theme, and how the creator establishes the fact that the students are astronauts setting flight for the moon. It is amazing that the students get to act as though they are on a real space mission, trying to solve a real-life problem! What third- fifth grade student wouldn’t love this?  That was a rhetorical question and I will go ahead and give the obvious answer; none!
Next, what really drew me towards this WebQuest was the fact that it is set up to accommodate groups and collaborative learning! I think it is great that the students can collaborate and specific task were assigned to each student in each group! This way all students had something to do and were engaged! This time of group WebQuest also allows for great discussions!
Everything appears to be organized effectively and each step, and or process is clearly mentioned and listed! There are a couple of things that I would correct or add on this WebQuest to make it even greater! On the standards page, there is only one standard listed, however, on the learner page it states that this WebQuest meets standards for science, writing, and speaking and listening. I feel like all related standards should be clearly listed on the standards page not just one! Furthermore, there are no links for the students to view. Simply directions to find the research on their own! I feel like the teacher should at least list a few websites to allow the students a place to begin their research. At this age, students are still learning how to research! Other than that, great WebQuest! The WebQuest was thoroughly thought out and designed! I enjoyed it to the max and would love to and WILL use this in my future classroom (if given the opportunity)!

Link to WebQuest I viewed for an example:

Kimberly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment